1) Zinc, Inc. is considering the acquisition of a new processing line. The processor can be purchased for $4,550,000. It will cost $65,000 to ship and $190,500 to install the processor. A recently completed feasibility study that was performed at a cost of $45,000 indicated that the processor would produce a positive NPV. Studies have shown that employee-training expenses will be $150,000. What is the total investment in the processing line for capital budgeting purposes?
2) A new machine can be purchased for $1,800,000. It will cost $35,000 to ship and $15,000 to fine-tune the machine. The new machine will replace an older version that is fully depreciated and will be sold for $200,000. The firm's income tax rate is 35%. What is the initial outlay for capital budgeting purposes?
3) Project XYZ requires an investment in equipment of $600,000 to replace existing equipment. The existing equipment will produce after-tax salvage value of $70,000. Net working capital requirements are increased by $50,000. What is the total cash outflow at time zero?
4)J & B Corp. is investing in a major capital budgeting project that will require the expenditure of $16 million. The money will be raised by issuing $2 million of bonds, $4 million of preferred stock, and $10 million of new common stock. The company estimates is after-tax cost of debt to be 7%, its cost of preferred stock to be 9%, the cost of retained earnings to be 14%, and the cost of new common stock to be 17%. What is the weighted average cost of capital for this project?
5)Welltran Corp. can purchase a new machine for $1,875,000 that will provide an annual net cash flow of $650,000 per year for five years. The machine will be sold for $120,000 after taxes at the end of year five. What is the net present value of the machine if the required rate of return is 13.5%
6) Five Rivers Casino is undergoing a major expansion. The expansion will be financed by issuing new 15-year, $1,000 par, 9% annual coupon bonds. The market price of the bonds is $1,070 each. Gamblers flotation expense on the new bonds will be $50 per bond. Gamblers marginal tax rate is 35%. What is the pre-tax cost of debt for the newly-issued bonds?
7)Zellars, Inc. is considering two mutually exclusive projects, A and B. Project A costs $95,000 and is expected to generate $65,000 in year one and $75,000 in year two. Project B costs $120,000 and is expected to generate $64,000 in year one, $67,000 in year two, $56,000 in year three, and $45,000 in year four. Zellars, Inc.'s required rate of return for these projects is 10%. The profitability index for Project B is?
8) A company has preferred stock that can be sold for $21 per share. The preferred stock pays an annual dividend of 3.5% based on a par value of $100. Flotation costs associated with the sale of preferred stock equal $1.25 per share. The company's marginal tax rate is 35%. Therefore, the cost of preferred stock is
9) Asian Trading Company paid a dividend yesterday of $5 per share (D0 = $4). The dividend is expected to grow at a constant rate of 8% per year. The price of Asian Trading Company's stock today is $29 per share. If Asian Trading Company decides to issue new common stock, flotation costs will equal $2.50 per share. Asian Trading Company's marginal tax rate is 35%. Based on the above information, the cost of new common stock is